Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shrimp and Orzo

I made a shrimp & Orzo salad once for Kirk's birthday picnic (almost 3 years ago when we were little college sweethearts) and it was delicious.  When he passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam I  ran to the store in a speedy attempt to make a special dinner before he got home (I had like 45 minutes prep time including a grocery run), I decided shrimp and orzo would be fast and special.

I served it with a tasty rotisserie chicken, dutch crust french bread (so good), fresh pineapple and Henry Weinhard's root beer (one of Kirk's favorites).  This meal was super duper fast and delicious.  I think it surprised Kirk that I was able throw it together so quickly because it was on the table ready when he walked in the door.


Shrimp & Orzo Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 box of Orzo
  • 10-12 fully cooked Shrimp - (mine were frozen so I thawed them)
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1-2 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 1 yellow squash, cubed
  • 1 zucchini, cubed
  • 1/2 cup cherry/grape tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoons of pesto sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions: 
  1. Cook orzo according to package directions.  Drain and place in serving bowl.  Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix to coat.
  2.  Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan on medium heat and add the vegetables.  Add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook, stirring frequently.  When the squash is cooked (it'll he browned a bit and tender but still firm) add the shrimp.  Remove from heat, remove the thyme sprigs.
  3. Add the vegetables and shrimp to the orzo.  Add pesto, then salt and pepper to taste.  Stir to mix.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Serve warm.

Like I said, this was really easy.  I'm sure I could have looked up a fancy, labor intensive recipe like I did 3 years ago but I was short on time.  Kirk thought it was tasty enough for lunches later and claimed that he loved it.

For dessert, we had a smorgasbord of delectable treats for Raley's and Martinelli's.  I can't remember what all the names were (chocolate decadence and key lime cheese cake were 2 of the 4 I splurged on) but seriously, if you have a Raley's near you you have to try their single serving desserts.  Incredible!
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails