Friday, January 22, 2010

Cobbler

Last night I decided to make use of all our frozen fruit and I made a yummy cobbler and some vanilla ice cream for the top.  Then, Kirk told me he needed to bring something to work to make up for the lack of doing dish duty this week (how cute, they gave him a little "chore").  So, I made the same thing for them.  Kirk tells me they ate it all up and LOVED it. 


It was really easy and there wasn't really a recipe (I just tossed some things together) but I'll give you as close as I can to the actual measurements I used!

Cobbler (9x13 pan):

Ingredients:

Filling:
  • 6-8 cups of frozen fruit
    • I used 2 16 oz. bags of Mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries) and 1 bag of frozen peaches
  •  1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • Zest and juice from one lemon
 Topping:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup cold butter cut into cubes
Directions:

  1. Heat the oven to 350*.  In a large mixing bowl, toss the frozen fruit with sugar, flour, lemon zest and juice.  You may need to add a bit of room temperature water.  I left my fruit frozen but used enough water to make the berries defrost a bit and break up slightly.  They mixture wasn't super wet but it was moist.
  2. Place filling into the greased baking dish (I used a 9x13 inch pan) and spread to cover the bottom of the pan evenly.  
  3. Mix together all the dry topping ingredients.  Add the butter and mix with an electric or standing mixer until crumbly.  Pour the topping on top of the fruit and spread evenly.  You should be able to completely cover the top of the fruit.
  4. Bake for 45-50 minutes.  The filling should be bubbly and seep through the topping around the edges.

Best served warm with ice cream.

One of Kirk's coworker's sent this email to him: "Tell your wife it was AMAZING! And thank you!"  I guess it wasn't a bad way to start a cold, wet Friday.

1 comment:

allison said...

I made this with my frozen blackberries tonight for FHE. It's really good...I'll make it again! Thanks for posting this recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails